ALL THAT REMAINS BEYOND

In the apocalyptic remnants of the world All That Remains is us and THEM...

Character Dossiers/Forum

Forum Home > Survivors > Monster Squad: Phoebe

SGCaper
Site Owner

"What can I say about my sister Phoebe? I can say she saved the world.

I know each of us played our part, Rudy destroyed the Mummy and killed the vampiresses shot the Wolf-Man with a silver bullet and Horace got the Gill-Man. Patrick, Eugene, and I really just got in the way. My sister though, she 'read' the German. Yeah she just repeated what 'Scary German Guy' said but she said it. And it worked. The portal to Limbo opened and the forces of evil were sucked in. If she hadn't stayed as calm as she did, remember she was just 5 years old at the time, if she hadn't stayed so calm we'd all be living in a monster infested hell world run by Dracula himself.

Sure the zombies run the planet now and there are ever increasing reports of unexplained activity but the years in between were pretty damn great."

I've translated for dignitaries of the United Nations, negotiations for cease fires, disarmament, even some late night extramarital trysts. But nothing compares to translating some old archaic text referring to all manner of dark beasts. I’ve read about the Old Gods, vampires, werewolves, and everything in-between.

I’ll never forget the time I got to see the Grail Diary. The real Grail Diary. The one written by Dr. Henry Jones. His great grandson and I met at a conference. We got chatting and he told me about it. I was able to properly translate a section that young Indiana was mistranslating, as had his father, his grandfather, and even his great grandfather THE Indiana Jones. It was a passage dealing with The Magnum Opus.

“That’s not what it says!” Indiana Jones’ voice was full of indignant anger.

“I’m telling you it is.” Phoebe Crenshaw knew she was right and her casual demeanor hid her excitement. She had figured out something that the legendary Jones family hadn’t. Something huge. The way to the Philosopher’s Stone. It’s a legendary substance of alchemy capable of turning base metals into gold or silver. It also said to provide the elixir of life, the secret to immortality.

“It can not say that. We’ve been working on this for years and never have I heard anyone in my family translate it like that.”

“How’s that translation working out for you? Did you find it yet?” Annoyance creeping into her voice.

“Wow. That was a low blow.”

“I’m sorry Indy. I know this has been in your family for generations, I’ve read all about your great grandfather. I know you’re good at translation…”

“But you’re better.” They both knew it to be true. Phoebe Crenshaw was one of the best in the world when it came to ancient language translation. “Fine, if that’s what it says then we have an adventure on our hands.”

“We?”

“Yeah, you think I’m going alone?” Indy looks at Phoebe with admiration. “Besides who knows what might need translation as we go. You know how these things work, one clue leads to another, to another, and so on.”

Phoebe looked at Indy. It would be cool to go on a treasure hunt. Sure it was fun to hunt monsters and find artifacts but the Philosopher’s Stone was in a totally different class of its own. “Yeah okay. Count me in.”

--

"O, woe be the day the enemy descends, mourn we will, for the sake of all that's holy in this universe....

... 'cause the Alley Viper Corps is gonna fuck it ALL up!" - NFC

August 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.